Starr Hill is one of Virginia’s oldest and largest independent craft breweries. Starr Hill’s production facility is in Crozet, VA, just 14 miles west of Charlottesville, nestled at the base of Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Access to national parks, trails, and rivers is excellent.
Starr Hill is seeking a qualified and motivated person to join our team in the position of Lab Technician. The lab technician will be primarily focused on the lab but will also be a willing participant in all the brewing and packaging goals. This means at times, the lab technician will be tasked with a variety of operational goals including canning, packaging, sorting, cleaning and cellar tasks. The best candidates will express a can-do attitude with a team-first mentality. The Lab Technician will report directly to the Lead Brewer and Manager of Brewery Operations.
This position is located at our main production facility in Crozet, VA.
Job Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
-Tank Readings – Gravities, Temperatures, Pressures, pH
– Yeast Management
– Cell Counts using Cell Counter
– ABV Measurements
– IBU/Color Analysis
– Sterile Sampling/Plating
– Prepare stock solutions and medium plates
– General Lab Cleanliness and organization
– Quality Checks on Packaged beer (O2, CO2, color, ABV, etc)
– Must be able to complete, maintain, and analyze laboratory data and report findings
– Sensory Panel Participation and Setup
– Occasional Cellar Duties
– A degree in chemistry, biology, microbiology, food science or related field
– An interest in beer
– Strict attention to detail
– Excellent computer and communication skills
– Experience with Microsoft Excel and Access
– Must be at least 21 years of age
– Must have reliable transportation to and from work
– Must be able to work independently
– Must be cleanliness and safety-minded
– The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, and crouch
– Must be able to use and manipulate fine tools and delicate instrumentation.
– Must be able to stand or move for an entire 8-hour shift.
– The employee must be able to lift up to 55 pounds
Starr Hill Brewery offers competitive compensation and additional benefits including company-sponsored healthcare plan with dental and vision, paid time off, 401k with company matching, paid holidays and, of course, beer! Starr Hill is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Starr Hill Brewery’s Brand Ambassadors strive to spread our world-class beer and fun-loving culture throughout our distribution footprint, crafting great times and creating super fans along the way. Starr Hill Brand Ambassadors are motivated, social individuals who have a passion for craft beer and an outgoing personality. They are responsible for executing promotional events in the trade in evenings and on weekends. Brand Ambassadors educate the public about Starr Hill beers in the on and off premise and will be trained by and report to the Sales Representative for their respective markets. Brand Ambassadors are part-time Starr Hill employees.
We are looking for Brand Ambassadors in all of our markets, including Virginia and Tennessee.
Pay is hourly and certain expenses will be reimbursed.
Please download our Employment Application (click Apply Now button below), and then send both the application and your résumé to the corresponding Starr Hill representative below based on your state/region:
Central & Western Virginia Sales Representative Gretchen Greggs: Gretchen@StarrHill.com
Northern Virginia Sales Representative Torrey Patterson: Torrey@StarrHill.com
Richmond, Virginia Sales Representative Chris Thompson: Chris@StarrHill.com
Tidewater, Virginia Sales Representative Cassi Summerell: Cassi@StarrHill.com
Tennessee/Alabama Market Manager Kristen Meier: Kristen@StarrHill.com